Words to Live and Write by

I am willing to fall Because I have learned how to rise.

I craft Love from heartbreak, Compassion from shame, Grace from disappointment, Courage from failure.

I am among the brave and brokenhearted, and I am rising strong.

(credit to Brene Brown)

Monday, April 1, 2013

April Fool's - Adventures in Diaper Changing

Today's shoe-shopping adventure, and maybe the world's way of playing an April Fool's prank on me:
Lana managed to pull off one of her shoes last weekend, somewhere between the Target checkout line and home. I'm pretty sure it's good and lost in the parking lot. So today we ventured out to Payless Shoes to buy NEW shoes. She's changed half a shoe size anyway. (In case you're wondering, Payless does not carry size 4.5 toddler shoes.)
We walk in the store and the tired salesperson measures Lana's feet. Meanwhile, I smell that oh-so-familiar smell of "Quick, get me to a changing table!" (Payless does not have one of those, either.)
The tired salesperson kindly let me use their employees only bathroom in the back. No changing table and pretty shoddy looking all around. Fortunately, there are supplies on shelves inside, so I craftily used some wipe-down disposable towel for a changing pad on the floor. (I'd left my huge diaper bag at home, thinking this would be a quick trip. No such thing when you have a toddler.)
THEN I discover there is NO DIAPER in my diaper bag. Not one. They all got used yesterday. And this is not a simple diaper change--it's a messy, get-all-over-your-hands-and-baby-hands-and-anything-nearby kind of diaper. I can't just wipe and temporarily reuse the diaper she's wearing; it has to go. AND I only have two wipes. Nowhere near enough. AND she's leaked out of her diaper onto her clothes. AND I am also out of plastic bags to contain her stinky diaper before disposing of it in the employees' one and only bathroom trash can.
Perfect.
I improvised. I'll spare you the details.
Then we bought shoes. How could I NOT buy shoes after disabusing their bathroom so?
Dear Payless, please don't ban me and my baby from your store. We'll probably visit again soon, since my daughter has a habit of pulling off and tossing around her shoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment