Words to Live and Write by

I am willing to fall Because I have learned how to rise.

I craft Love from heartbreak, Compassion from shame, Grace from disappointment, Courage from failure.

I am among the brave and brokenhearted, and I am rising strong.

(credit to Brene Brown)

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

"Encounter"

 "Encounter"
by Ellen Bryson Remington

A learned friend from time gone by
When my pursuits were intellecutal
Crossed my path today; and glancing
Quickly at my rounded middle,
Noting the smudges there from little hands,
The wrinkles, too, from childish tears,
He asked, "What are you into now?"

I wish I could have made him understand.
"I'm into graphic arts - a type
Advanced beyond the popular conception.
I deal in shapes so intricate, so exsquisite
That in this life I'll never know their limits."

I thought how every day I shape so many things:
I shape the edges of a pie,
I shape a diaper to the tiny legs,
I shape some flowers from our small backyard,
The covers on a bed till they are
Soft and welcoming.
I shape small eager hands around a ball
And show them how to throw.

But also with my mind and with my love
I shape the tense and troubled hours;
I take them formless, dark, and shape them
Into light and warmth for spirits' growing.
I guide a pliant, loving mind
Now fresh and good from God,
I try to  show him things our Savior would.

I shape the design of his temperament,
The pattern of his moods,
I shape desires in his heart
Of this world and another.

And now in me another life is shaped -
The way he'll look and stand,
The contours of his hands -
And God is partner to that shaping.

Let those who do not understand
Think I'm lost in Merely Mothering.
I smile - and shape my daily chores
Into eternal joy.



Leave your thoughts and comments please!

No comments:

Post a Comment