Words to Live and Write by

I am willing to fall Because I have learned how to rise.

I craft Love from heartbreak, Compassion from shame, Grace from disappointment, Courage from failure.

I am among the brave and brokenhearted, and I am rising strong.

(credit to Brene Brown)

Sunday, July 13, 2014

Give More Than You Can Afford




This is beautiful. And so true, those with less often give more.
You know those guys with cardboard signs by the road? We keep all our extra change in the change drawer in the car so we can give something every time possible. (Sometimes we're two lanes over so it's not possible.)
I don't know what, if any, blessings I get for this; I don't know what that person does with the $1 or so I can give; all I know is it feels RIGHT and GOOD. It feels like I am being a follower of Christ who gave everything to everyone.
My meager offerings of change are tiny, but they are my widow's mite, so to speak. We struggle with finances ourselves so badly, but I can't help thinking how much more that person with the cardboard sign is struggling. I have been given MUCH - not everything, and a lot of days it feels like not enough, but it is much all the same. And I try to live my life by the sweet hymn, "Because I have been given much I too must give." It takes courage and a soft heart - and those are values I want to develop more in myself.
It's not just street corner people, either. It's the lady at Target, looking frantic, who needs help finding something or to take my spot in line. It's making room on the freeway to let in all the cars; I can wait. It's a smile and an actual conversation with the person at the checkout counter. It is love - and it crosses all barriers. It is what I want to be.
P.S. I am so far from perfecting this attribute, but I have to start somewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment