Words to Live and Write by

I am willing to fall Because I have learned how to rise.

I craft Love from heartbreak, Compassion from shame, Grace from disappointment, Courage from failure.

I am among the brave and brokenhearted, and I am rising strong.

(credit to Brene Brown)

Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Truth-Telling

I've had many reactions to how and what I write on my blog. I write about real things - some sweet, some funny, and lot of messy and hard. I write my stories - real ones. When you read one of my posts, you are seeing a part of me that most people don't - you see the strong me, the scared me, the proud me, the imperfect me - you get to read my life as an open book.



"They tell us from the time we're young to hide the things that we don't like about ourselves, inside ourselves... Well I'm over it. I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are. So what?"

It was so hard for me to open up and be brave and honest and real and raw at first. It was scary. It's scary to show the world your weaknesses, your vulnerabilities! But I found it to be so relieving. I don't go around all day telling everyone about my troubles - that would be annoying. But I write about them. I write about my truths - the good and the bad.
 
I've found there are precisely three reactions to daring truth-telling: 1) The appreciators, the ones who say "me, too!" or feel a little bit better about their messy life because they're not alone in imperfection. 2) The ones who just don't know what to do with my truth. They back away from me, and that's okay. 3) The defenders, the ones who feel my writing strikes too close to home, or gives a voice to demons that they don't want to acknowledge. They feel the need to protect themselves and often do it with criticism; I've come to understand that that criticism has nothing to do with me, really, and everything to do with the defenders.

 
In the end, brave honesty shows me who can be a good friend to me and who to avoid sharing truths with. And it's okay that some people back away - I'm messy and some people can't handle messy. It's also more enlivening and more honest than going around always saying, "I'm fine" even if I'm not.




Leave your thoughts and comments please!